/Europe / Common Fisheries Policy

Fishermen’s leaders welcome commitment to new strategy for industry

The Scottish Fishermen’s Federation today welcomed the Prime Minister’s backing for a national fishing strategy. The SFF has long called for a new blueprint for the industry as the UK leaves the Common Fisheries Policy. Boris Johnson acceded to the suggestion of a coherent industry-wide approach to making the best of the opportunity that Brexit will present to grow [...]

Statement on December Fisheries Council

The Scottish Fishermen’s Federation today described the outcome of the annual December Fisheries Council, which concluded in the early hours of the morning, as challenging but acceptable for the fishing fleet. Chief executive Bertie Armstrong said: "The talks have been difficult, as they always are, with the additional element this year of politics related to [...]

Fishermen’s leaders caution against vengeful action by EU

European Union countries will be guilty of vengeful behaviour if they pile pressure on UK fishermen as a result of Brexit at the annual December Council. Scottish fishermen’s leaders warn today that with a fisheries agreement to be negotiated as part of the final exit settlement, it is not in the interests of the EU-27 [...]

2019-02-05T17:01:55+00:00December 16th, 2018|Brexit, Europe / Common Fisheries Policy, General News, SFF|

Statement on strengthening of Fisheries Bill

During the visit today to Peterhead Fish Market of Secretary of State for Scotland David Mundell, Scottish Fishermen's Federation chief executive Bertie Armstrong said: "The SFF welcomes the strengthening of the Fisheries Bill and the commitment of extra resources for the sector to aid the UK's transition to an independent coastal state and beyond. "Particularly pleasing is the [...]

Industry seeks cross-party support for taking back control of waters

Politicians from all parties at Holyrood and Westminster are being urged to sign a pledge supporting the Scottish fishing industry's demand that full control of UK waters be taken back from the EU. Along with the UK Fisheries Bill, the Brexit deal and political declaration provide the scope for the UK to become a fully independent Coastal [...]

Industry seeks Brexit clarity from Prime Minister

Industry leaders are seeking clarity from the Prime Minister on the proposed new fisheries agreement within the Brexit settlement amid concerns about a linkage between access for EU vessels to UK waters and tariff-free access for UK seafood suppliers to the EU market.   SFF chief executive Bertie Armstrong said: “The industry’s priority has always [...]

2019-02-05T17:01:55+00:00November 14th, 2018|Brexit, Europe / Common Fisheries Policy, General News, SFF|

Statement on Brexit deal

Bertie Armstrong, chief executive of the SFF, said: "We welcome the intervention of the Secretary of State for Scotland and his fellow MPs stating that they could not support anything less than full and effective sovereignty over UK fishing waters. "We have been saying for two years that the only plausible way forward for the industry is for [...]

Public strongly supports increase in quotas for UK vessels in own waters

A clear majority of the public believe that the amount of fish caught by UK boats in their own waters should be increased when the country leaves the EU. Under the Common Fisheries Policy, vessels are currently restricted to 40% of the annual catch and the remaining 60% is taken by other countries. In a [...]

SFF welcomes commitment from across UK government to leaving CFP

Fishermen's leaders today welcomed the commitment from two senior cabinet ministers and the leader of the Conservatives in Scotland to leaving the Common Fisheries Policy in March 2019. In a joint statement Michael Gove and Ruth Davidson, who were on opposite sides in the referendum campaign, backed the Scottish Fishermen's Federation position. Chancellor Philip Hammond [...]

Statement on EU draft trade talks guidelines

Reacting to the EU's draft guidelines for trade talks published today, Scottish Fishermen's Federation chief executive Bertie Armstrong said: "There cannot be 'fairer shares' for our fishing communities if we maintain existing reciprocal access. "This latest gambit must be rejected. When we leave the EU we leave the Common Fisheries Policy and assume our rightful [...]